REED 8778-NIST Heat Stress WBGT Meter, includes Traceable Certificate
Wet bulb globe temperature (WBGT) considers the effects of temperature, humidity and direct or radiant sunlight. This product includes a Traceable Certificate with full Data and Uncertainties.
REED 8778-NIST Offers
This heat stress datalogger measures temperature, humidity, and direct or radiant sunlight with Wet Bulb Globe Temperature (WBGT). With this information, the 8778 determines the "what it feels like" temperature. The 8778 is OSHA recommended and also features a user-adjustable WBGT audible alarm and the ability to adjust settings for indoor temperature measurement.
This product includes a Traceable Certificate with full Data and Uncertainties.
- Heat Stress Index measures how hot it feels when humidity is combined with temperature, air movement and radiant heat
- Black Globe Temperature (TG) monitors the effects of direct solar radiation on an exposed surface
- In/Out function displays the WBGT value with or without direct sun exposure
- User selectable unit of measure (°F or °C)
- Large, easy-to-read LCD display
- User adjustable threshold alarm (audible)
- Tripod mount for long-term monitoring
- Low battery indicator and auto shut off
REED 8778 Specifications
|Measuring Ranges||Air: 32 to 122.0°F (0 to 50.0°C)
Black Globe: 32 to 176°F (0 to 80°C)
WBGT: 32 to 122°F (0 to 50°C)
|Accuracy||Air Temperature: ±1.1°F (±0.6°C)
Black Globe (Indoor):
59 to 104°F (15 to 40°C): ±1.8°F (1°C)
Rest of Range: ±2.7°F (1.5°C)
Black Globe (Outdoor):
59 to 104°F (15 to 40°C): ±3.6°F (2°C)
Rest of Range: ±2.7°F (1.5°C)
|Measuring Range||0 to 100% RH|
|Accuracy||10% to 90% RH: ±3%
Rest of Range: ±5%
|Response Time||1 sec|
|Auto Shut-off||Yes (after 10 mins/off)|
|User Adjustable WBGT Alarm||Yes (audible)|
|Low Battery Indicator||Yes|
|Power Supply||2 AAA Batteries|
|Battery Life||Approx. 1000 hours (Alkaline)|
|Operating Temperature||0 to 122°F (0 to 50°C)|
|Storage Temperature||14 to 140°F (-10 to 60°C)|
|Operating Humidity Range||0 to 95%|
|Dimensions||Instrument: 10 x 1.9 x 1.1" (254 x 49 x 30 mm)
Black Brass Ball Diameter: 2.9" (75 mm)
Don't Lose Your Cool. Manage Work Place and Athlete Heat Stress.
Sometimes we only use the air temperature as a measure of how comfortable we will feel when working or playing outside. But when the days get longer and the sun becomes stronger we need to take into account a lot more than air temperature.
Heat-induced illnesses, such as heat exhaustion and heat stroke occur when your body can't keep itself cool. The evaporation of sweat is slowed on hot and humid days causing your body temperature to rise and become ill.
Symptoms of Heat Exhaustion and Heat Stroke
- Dizziness, Headache, Weakness, Nausea
- Rapid Heartbeat, Cramps, Chest Pain
- Labored Breathing, Lack of Sweating
- Mood changes such as irritability or confusion
- High fever (104°F and Higher) for Heat Stroke Victims
Preventing Heat Stress
- Know signs/symptoms of heat-related illnesses; monitor yourself and coworkers
- Block out direct sun or other heat sources
- Rest regularly
- Drink lots of water; about 1 cup every 15 minutes
- Wear lightweight, light colored, loose-fitting clothes
- Avoid alcohol, caffeinated drinks, or heavy meals
And most importantly….Monitor the conditions you are in with a Heat Stress Meter
These meters measure how hot it REALLY feels outside when humidity is combined with temperature, air movement and radiant heat.
What is WBGT or Wet Bulb Globe Temperature?
WBGT index is a term used in industry, sports and other areas to indicate the heat stress level for humans and animals. It calculates the heat stress of direct sunlight, which takes into ac¬count temperature, humidity, wind speed, sun angle and cloud cover. This type of meter com¬bines these factors into a single number so you can quickly take into account the conditions you are in.
What is Black Globe Temperature (TG)?
Skin can burn when it comes in contact with exposed machinery, tools and containers left in hot direct sunlight. Black Globe Temperature represents the integrated effects of radiation and wind on these objects.
What's included with the REED 8778-NIST
- Heat Stress Meter
- Traceable Certificate with full Data and Uncertainties
Ideal Applications for the REED 8778
- Sports (leisure, organized, and professional)
- Monitor seasonal conditions to ensure safe environment at school or daycare
- Ensuring safe work environments
Click on a category to view a selection of compatible accessories with the REED 8778-NIST Heat Stress WBGT Meter, .